Greene County Historical Society

 
 
The Greene County Historical Society, a nonprofit organization, was established in 1960. The purpose of this society is to preserve our history through historical architectural preservation in Greene County. 
There are over 40 residences and 7 public buildings from the antebellum period and many others from the Victoria era in Eutaw. Each year the Society hosts a Tour of Homes in October. Oct. 1-2, 2016 this coming year & why don’t you come & visit ?
This tour features at least four historic homes and several historic churches!

The Greene County Historical Society 
asks for your support with preservation. 
Tax Deductible donations can be made to:

Greene County Historical Society
PO Box 746
Eutaw, AL. 35462


Benefits of supporting the GCHS include:
 1) Preventing the loss of historic property in Greene County
 2) Uniting the community in the name of preservation
 3) IRS 501/C/3 counts as tax deductible




















































Home_files/The%20Greene%20County%20Historical%20Society%20sign%202010.doc

On the left above is the Greene County Historical Society (GCHS) Head Quarters:  Raised Creole cottage finished in time for Vaughn, a tailor, to present to his new bride,  Margaret R. Steele.  Consists of 3 rooms, a connecting center hall & porches.  The Eutaw Presbyterian Church acquired the house in 1981, and gave the house to the GCHS.  It was then moved to its current location & restored to its 1840 appearance for use as GCHS HQ !

Oct. 5-6, 2019 Tour of Homes !

Come & visit exquisite beauty !

Find our 2019 “Line-Up” below!  The Greene County Historical Society is a IRS 501/C/3 Non-Profit committed to Historic Architectural Preservation.  Thank you for your interest and support ! 

Kirkwood (1860)

Kirkwood Drive

NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


In 1860, the splendid home of Foster Kirksey was nearing completion but some final materials were undelivered as the Civil War intervened . Steamboats no longer left Eutaw loaded with cotton for Mobile, nor did they return with the goods and treasures that had brought elegance to plantation life. The extraordinary four story mansion –graced with eight massive ionic columns, Carrerra marble mantels. Waterford crystal chandeliers and original furnishings-would languish for over 100 years until purchased by Roy and Mary Swayze. They meticulously restored the house, rebuilt the cupola, completed the intricate ceiling moulding, placed a period railing around the second floor balcony, and reclaimed the grounds-now eight acres of gardens and a pecan grove. In 1982 the prestigious National Trust for Historic Preservation “Honor Award” was presented to the Swayzes for the restoration of Kirkwood.

Ward - Fleming Cottage (ca. 1896)

405 Main St.


One of the most picturesque homes in Eutaw, the William R. Ward Cottage was an early work by Brough, Eutaw’s noted Victorian era builder.  The elaborate brackets and grilles on the piazza are compared to lacework by architectural historian Clay Lancaster who further describes the home in Eutaw, the Builders and Architecture of an Antebellum Southern Town, “The main block of the house has a steep hip roof, and small pavilions, jutting from each side are crowned by gables.  A piazza embracing much of the front and east side has slender turn posts with railing between, and bracketed grilles at the top.  The plan is informal, rooms mostly opening into other rooms, corridors being incidental to circulation.  The house has been renovated in sympathy with its original character.”

Herndon-Liverman House (1820’s)

822 Mesopotamia Street


This house was originally constructed in Old Erie by Thomas Herndon, one of the early citizens and a member of the Erie town council. It is generally believed that it was built in the late 1820’s. In 1842, Emma Herndon, the widow of Thomas Herndon, moved the house to its present site. An outstanding feature of the house is its interior woodwork, which includes Federal-Style wainscoting and Greek Key designs in the mouldings.  This is known in Eutaw as the “ half house” because of its unusual appearance.

Schoppert-Cotton House (pre-1856)

230 Prairie Ave.

NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


Phillip Schewart was born in 1800 at Newberry Courthouse, South Carolina, and was living in this house when listed in Snedecor’s 1856 directory as a builder in Eutaw.  The original house plan was similar to Grassdale, with Italian roof of the Duncan Dew House and chimneys reminiscent of the builders native South Carolina.  Edward Ustick obtained the house in 1899 at which time the porch was added, and other features changed. 

Vaughn-Morrow House (1841)

310 Main Street

NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


Iredell  P. Vaughn, a tailor, built this home for his bride, Miss Margaret R. Steele, in 1841. It was originally at the corner of Mesopotamia Street and Wilson Avenue next to a carriage shop operated by Edwin Reese. The Patton family gave the house and land to the adjacent Presbyterian Church for a memorial garden in the 1970s and the home was transferred to the Greene County Historic Society for restoration. It was moved to the west end of the lot and turned to face the garden. Upon completion of the project in the mid 1980s, the Vaughn-Morrow was open as the new headquarters of the Society and a visitors information center. Many homes in Eutaw feature characteristics of this Raised Creole cottage style house consisting of three rooms, a connecting center hall, and porches two sides.

Ebenezer Presbyterian Church (1832)

Clinton, AL

The congregation outgrew the original log church to create what stands today.  Approx. 8 miles NW of Eutaw.  One interesting feature the church has is a slave gallery, one of only a few left today.  The gallery extends across the back and about half way up each side.  The original grain painted pews are still in place.


The historic church cemetery, with monuments dating back to the 1830’s is on tour too.  

The First Presbyterian Church:  This Greek Revival
Structure was built on its present site in 1851. 
Its predecessor was actually built in the 1820’s on the
corner of the old Mesopotamia Cemetery, about a mile
down the road.  The congregation rebuilt and moved
into town when Eutaw began to prosper.