Greene County Historical Society

 

The First Presbyterian Church:  This Greek Revival
Structure was built on its present site in 1851. 
Its predecessor was actually built in the 1820’s on the
corner of the old Mesopotamia Cemetery, about a mile
down the road.  The congregation rebuilt and moved
into town when Eutaw began to prosper.

Schoppert-Cotton House (pre-1856)

NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


Phillip Schoppert was born in 1800 at Newberry Courthouse, South Carolina, and was living in this house when listed in Snedecor’s 1856 directory as a builder in Eutaw.  The original house plan was similar to Grassdale, with Italian roof of the Duncan Dew House and chimneys reminiscent of the builders native South Carolina.  Edward Ustick obtained the house in 1899 at which time the porch was added, and other features changed.  Come and see a home in the beginning stages of being saved....this home was saved of demolition by the Greene County Historic Society !

Kirkwood (1860)

Kirkwood Drive

NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


In 1860, the splendid home of Foster Kirksey was nearing completion but some final materials were undelivered as the Civil War intervened . Steamboats no longer left Eutaw loaded with cotton for Mobile, nor did they return with the goods and treasures that had brought elegance to plantation life. The extraordinary four story mansion –graced with eight massive ionic columns, Carrerra marble mantels. Waterford crystal chandeliers and original furnishings-would languish for over 100 years until purchased by Roy and Mary Swayze. They meticulously restored the house, rebuilt the cupola, completed the intricate ceiling moulding, placed a period railing around the second floor balcony, and reclaimed the grounds-now eight acres of gardens and a pecan grove. In 1982 the prestigious National Trust for Historic Preservation “Honor Award” was presented to the Swayzes for the restoration of Kirkwood.

Why Don’t You Stay the Weekend in Eutaw AT Everhope1852.com

Everhope Plantation (ca. 1852)

11334 Hwy 14

Open for Tours, Events & Lodging (Everhope1852.com)
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


Everhope Planation B&B:  (205) 500-0780

Visit EverhopePlantation.com for more details ! 

Located in the middle of the GCHS Tour of Homes !
Stay the Night & support Eutaw, population 2k or so !

Ward - Fleming Cottage (ca. 1896)

405 Main St.


One of the most picturesque homes in Eutaw, the William R. Ward Cottage was an early work by Brough, Eutaw’s noted Victorian era builder.  The elaborate brackets and grilles on the piazza are compared to lacework by architectural historian Clay Lancaster who further describes the home in Eutaw, the Builders and Architecture of an Antebellum Southern Town, “The main block of the house has a steep hip roof, and small pavilions, jutting from each side are crowned by gables.  A piazza embracing much of the front and east side has slender turn posts with railing between, and bracketed grilles at the top.  The plan is informal, rooms mostly opening into other rooms, corridors being incidental to circulation.  The house has been renovated in sympathy with its original character.”

Vaughn-Morrow House (1841)

310 Main Street

NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


Iredell  P. Vaughn, a tailor, built this home for his bride, Miss Margaret R. Steele, in 1841. It was originally at the corner of Mesopotamia Street and Wilson Avenue next to a carriage shop operated by Edwin Reese. The Patton family gave the house and land to the adjacent Presbyterian Church for a memorial garden in the 1970s and the home was transferred to the Greene County Historic Society for restoration. It was moved to the west end of the lot and turned to face the garden. Upon completion of the project in the mid 1980s, the Vaughn-Morrow was open as the new headquarters of the Society and a visitors information center. Many homes in Eutaw feature characteristics of this Raised Creole cottage style house consisting of three rooms, a connecting center hall, and porches two sides.

Herndon-Liverman House (1820’s)

822 Mesopotamia Street


This house was originally constructed in Old Erie by Thomas Herndon, one of the early citizens and a member of the Erie town council. It is generally believed that it was built in the late 1820’s. In 1842, Emma Herndon, the widow of Thomas Herndon, moved the house to its present site. An outstanding feature of the house is its interior woodwork, which includes Federal-Style wainscoting and Greek Key designs in the mouldings.  This is known in Eutaw as the “ half house” because of its unusual appearance.

Ebenezer Presbyterian Church (1832)

Clinton, AL

The congregation outgrew the original log church to create what stands today.  Approx. 8 miles NW of Eutaw.  One interesting feature the church has is a slave gallery, one of only a few left today.  The gallery extends across the back and about half way up each side.  The original grain painted pews are still in place.


The historic church cemetery, with monuments dating back to the 1830’s is on tour too.