Greene County Historical Society

 

The First Presbyterian Church:  This Greek Revival
Structure was built on its present site in 1851. 
Its predecessor was actually built in the 1820’s on the
corner of the old Mesopotamia Cemetery, about a mile
down the road.  The congregation rebuilt and moved
into town when Eutaw began to prosper.

Although St. Stephen’s has always been situated on the same plot of ground, this church building was erected in 1914 after the earlier church burned.

Schoppert-Cotton House (pre-1856)

NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


Phillip Schoppert was born in 1800 at Newberry Courthouse, South Carolina, and was living in this house when listed in Snedecor’s 1856 directory as a builder in Eutaw.  The original house plan was similar to Grassdale, with Italian roof of the Duncan Dew House and chimneys reminiscent of the builders native South Carolina.  Edward Ustick obtained the house in 1899 at which time the porch was added, and other features changed.  Come and see a home in the beginning stages of being saved....this home was saved of demolition by the Greene County Historic Society !

Mr. Lon Vance, a resident of Eutaw, Alabama since 1971, is a self-taught caner using chair cane, rush and other materials.
Caning chair seats became a winter time job during the 1980’s when an off-season job was needed.  Little did Mr. Vance know that this skill would eventually become a full time job.  Mr. Vance’s skills will be on display at the GCHS’s Headquarters (Vaughn-Morrow House where tickets are purchased/picked-up).

Elliott - Banks House (ca. 1848)

500 Springfield Ave.

NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


Gardner Elliott, a merchant in Eutaw, purchased his three acre lot from Asa White in late 1847.  The framed story-and-a-half rests over a brick basement.  Two rooms on the main level flank a center hall, and upstairs are two loft rooms.  A square-piered portico with pediment probably preceded the dormers and railing atop the portico.

As of 2015 this home is being saved by extensive interior and exterior restoration.

Stephen F. Hale House (ca. 1842)

223 Wilson Ave.

NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


This was the home of lawyer, statesman, and Confederate War hero Stephen F. Hale, for whom Hale County was named, and who died leading a charge in the Battle of Richmond.  As the first of the popular story-and-a-half Greek Revival Cottages built in Eutaw, this house dispels the image of a cottage with open, rambling spaces.  Many homes of this type have as much or more room than the pillared mansions.  Four bedrooms were built on the first level, arranged neatly on either side of a bricked patio.  A continuous porch surrounded the patio on three sides, on to which each of the bed chambers opened.  The front of the house features a pedimented portico with four fluted columns. 

Thornhill (ca. 1833)


This house is a classic six Ionic columned Greek Revival Plantation
home. It was built for James Innes Thornton, Alabama’s third
Secretary of State. The plantation’s schoolhouse was built in 1845 and remains today. The family cemetery, one hundred seventy –five yards east of the house, has Thornton, his wife, four of his eleven children, and three grandchildren buried there. Thornhill originally was built on an estate of twenty-six hundred acres. Now sixteen hundred acres remains in the Thornton family and is owned by the fourth great grandson of James Innes Thornton. This beautifully preserved home sits atop a great hill providing a breathtaking view. One can see for miles in every direction.

Fortson Mills

County Road 191


The Bambarger residence was built was built in 1914 by an ancestor of Mr. Jim Bambarger.  It was constructed near the old Fortson’s Mills.  It has been used by the Fathery and Childers families as a hunt club for some 30 years.  The barn located on the west side of the property is said to have housed all the mules in the area as it has a large hay loft and cribs for at least 40 head.  Some mill stones have been located on the property used for grinding grain.  Most likely were ones used at Fortson’s Mills.

Kirkwood (1860)

Kirkwood Drive

NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


In 1860, the splendid home of Foster Kirksey was nearing completion but some final materials were undelivered as the Civil War intervened . Steamboats no longer left Eutaw loaded with cotton for Mobile, nor did they return with the goods and treasures that had brought elegance to plantation life. The extraordinary four story mansion –graced with eight massive ionic columns, Carrerra marble mantels. Waterford crystal chandeliers and original furnishings-would languish for over 100 years until purchased by Roy and Mary Swayze. They meticulously restored the house, rebuilt the cupola, completed the intricate ceiling moulding, placed a period railing around the second floor balcony, and reclaimed the grounds-now eight acres of gardens and a pecan grove. In 1982 the prestigious National Trust for Historic Preservation “Honor Award” was presented to the Swayzes for the restoration of Kirkwood.

Why Don’t You Stay the Weekend in Eutaw AT Everhope1852.com

Everhope Plantation (ca. 1852)

11334 Hwy 14

Open for Tours, Events & Lodging (Everhope1852.com)
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


Everhope Planation B&B:  (205) 500-0780

Visit Everhope1852.com for more details ! 

Located in the middle of the GCHS Tour of Homes !
Stay the Night & support Eutaw, population 2k or so !