Greene County Historical Society

 

Historic Homes for Sale:
For general sales info,
please call Michael Turner
(205) 292-0015

$10 Book
- Walking & Driving Tour Book
- Published by the GCHS
- 45 Color Pages
- Features 89 Historic Homes
- The Greene County Architectural Guide

Available at:
- Truman’s Barbecue in Eutaw

- EverhopePlantation.com
- Eutaw Chamber of Commerce
- or call Michael Turner (205) 292-0015

#

Sipsey William B. Willis House (ca. 1835)
Ashby Circle
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


An L-shaped, one-story, Greek Revival clapboard house on high brick foundations, having two porticos of the Doric order and fine architectural details both inside and out, the house was taken in two sections from a wooded area near Pleasant Ridge to its present site and has been carefully restored with the foundations re-built of hand made bricks following the original design.  The house was enlarged around a courtyard at the rear. 


Edwin Reese House (ca. 1842)

236 Wilson Ave.


Carriage maker Edwin Reese built his first home on this lot, purchased from Asa White in 1841.  It was originally similar in style to the Caleb Taylor home (Oliver-Scott House) on Prairie, and coincidentally, was also increased to two stories in the 1880’s by a later owner.  This handsome home now has a square-piered portico with early 9-paned sashes on lower windows and the newer 6-paned above.  Interior details are of the Greek Revival period.















Fortson Mills

County Road 191


The Bambarger residence was built was built in 1914 by an ancestor of Mr. Jim Bambarger.  It was constructed near the old Fortson’s Mills.  It has been used by the Fathery and Childers families as a hunt club for some 30 years.  The barn located on the west side of the property is said to have housed all the mules in the area as it has a large hay loft and cribs for at least 40 head.  Some mill stones have been located on the property used for grinding grain.  Most likely were ones used at Fortson’s Mills.

Meriwether-Glass House (reconstructed 1856)

243 Wilson Avenue

NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


According to an architectural historian, the present house shows all the earmarks of having been reassembled from an earlier building or buildings. Tradition asserts that Dr. Willis Meriwether moved the original house in 1856 from his plantation in Springfield to Eutaw, where it was reconstructed on this site. The early village of Springfield has vanished, except, perhaps, for this transplanted residence.